1. Explain how the structures of a cell contribute to its function.
|Functions of the Cell|
2. List the six main functions of a cell.
3. Describe the structure of the cell membrane.
|Movement Through the Cell Membrane|
4. List four ways by which substances cross the cell membrane.
5. Explain the role of osmosis and that of osmotic pressure in controlling the movement of water across the cell membrane. Compare hypotonic, isotonic, and hypertonic solutions.
6. Define mediated transport, and compare the processes of facilitated diffusion, active transport, and secondary active transport.
7. Describe endocytosis and exocytosis.
8. Describe the structure and function of the nucleus and nucleoli.
9. Compare the structure and function of rough and smooth endoplasmic reticulum.
10. Describe the roles of the Golgi apparatuses and secretory vesicles in secretion.
11. Explain the role of lysosomes and peroxisomes in digesting material taken into cells by phagocytosis.
12. Describe the structure and function of mitochondria.
13. Describe the structure and function of centrioles.
14. Compare the structure and function of cilia, flagella, and microvilli.
15. Describe the process of protein synthesis.
16. Explain what is accomplished during mitosis.
17. Define differentiation, and explain how different cell types develop.
|Cellular Aspects of Aging|
18. List the major theories of aging.