Take a virtual field trip to see a fine example of how geologists reconstruct
the geologic history of a region with field work.
1. What is the age of the oldest rock exposed in New York? What type of rocks
are they? How did they form?
2. Which event occurred first - the Taconic Orogeny or the Acadian Orogeny
or the Alleghenian Orogeny? When did each of these occur? What was the geologic
process that caused these mountain building events?
3. When did continental glaciers cover New York? What is the geological evidence
that glaciers once covered New York?
4. What types of rocks are found within the Unadilla Formation? When did
these rocks form? What geological processes were responsible for their formation?
5. What type of unconformity is exposed at Stop 4a? What is the geological
evidence for this unconformity? What geologic process caused the unconformity
6. What type of fault is exposed at Stop 4b? What is the geological evidence
for the existence of this fault? What geologic process was responsible for
the formation of this fault?
7. What types of geologic structures are illustrated at Stop 4d?