(See related pages)
|Chapter 1 Objectives|
- Describe the five chief physical manifestations of puberty.
- Discuss the role of the hypothalamus and pituitary gland in the hormonal feedback loop.
- List the normal sequence of events in puberty for males and females.
- Discuss the factors, both biological and environmental, that influence individual variability in pubertal growth and development. Be sure to include a discussion of the secular trend.
- Explain the adjustments that accompany puberty and comment on the advantages and disadvantages associated with early and late maturation.
- Describe how physical maturation affects the adolescent's self-image, mood, and relationships with parents.
- Describe anorexia nervosa, bulimia, and obesity. How do they relate to pubertal development?
- Discuss the "new morbidity and mortality" of adolescence and the steps being taken to promote adolescent health (particularly the "five A's").