|Functions of the Nervous System|
1. List the functions of the nervous system.
|Divisions of the Nervous System|
2. List the divisions of the nervous system and describe the characteristics of each.
|Cells of the Nervous System|
3. Describe the structure of neurons and the function of their components. Describe the location, structure, and general function of neuroglial cells.
4. Define and describe the structure of a nerve, nerve tract, nucleus, and ganglion.
|Electrical Signals and Neural Pathways|
5. Describe a resting membrane potential and explain how an action potential is generated and propagated.
6. Describe the structure and function of a synapse.
7. List the parts of a reflex arc and describe its function.
8. Describe a converging and a diverging circuit.
|Central and Peripheral Nervous Systems|
9. Contrast and compare the central and peripheral nervous systems.
10. Describe the relation between the spinal cord and spinal nerves.
11. Describe a cross section of the spinal cord.
12. Define the term plexus and describe the three primary plexuses, including their branches.
13. List the parts of the brain.
14. List the parts of the brainstem and state their functions.
15. State where the cerebellum is located.
16. List the parts of the diencephalon and state their functions.
17. List the lobes of the cerebrum and state a function for each.
18. List the major ascending tracts and state a function for each.
19. Describe the sensory and association areas of the cerebral cortex and discuss their interactions.
20. Describe the motor area of the cerebral cortex and discuss how it interacts with other parts of the frontal lobe.
21. Distinguish between upper and lower motor neurons and between direct and indirect tracts.
22. Discuss how the basal nuclei and cerebellum regulate motor functions.
|Other Brain Functions|
23. Discuss the right and left cerebral hemispheres and speech.
24. Describe sensory, short-term, and long-term memory.
|Meninges and Cerebrospinal Fluid|
25. Describe the three meningeal layers surrounding the central nervous system, the four ventricles of the brain, and the origin and circulation of the cerebrospinal fluid.
(See page(s) 230)
26. List the various types of cranial nerves and give a brief description of their functions.
|Autonomic Nervous System|
(See page(s) 234)
27. Contrast the structure of the autonomic nervous system and the somatic motor nervous system. Name the two divisions of the autonomic nervous system and describe the differences between them.
|Effects of Aging on the Nervous System|
(See page(s) 237)
28. Describe the changes that occur in the nervous system with advancing age.