SECTION I: DEFINING BUSINESS ETHICS
Chapter 1: Understanding Ethics
- Understanding ‘Right’ and ‘Wrong’
- ‘Doing the Right Thing’
- The Golden Rule
- Ethical Theories
- Ethical Relativism
- Ethical Dilemmas
Case 1.1 The Overcrowded Lifeboat
Case 1.2 Sophie’s Choice
Case 1.3 Jean Valjean’s Conscience
- Resolving Ethical Dilemmas
- Ethical Reasoning
Discussion Exercise 1.1: Life and Death
Discussion Exercise 1.2: The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas
Chapter 2: Defining Business Ethics
- Who are the Stakeholders?
- An ethical crisis – is Business Ethics an Oxymoron?
Case 2.1 ‘Ethics Schmethics’
- The History of Business Ethics
- ‘Doing the Right Thing’
- Resolving an Ethical Dilemma
Case 2.2 What to Say to the Man Let Go?
- Justifying Unethical Behavior
- Building and Operating an Ethical Business
Discussion Exercise 2.1: $2500
Discussion Exercise 2.2: Nick Zane
SECTION II: THE PRACTICE OF BUSINESS ETHICS
Chapter 3: Organizational Ethics
- Defining Organizational Ethics
- The Ethics of R&D
Case 3.1 A Firm Production Date
Case 3.2 The Ford Pinto
- Ethics in Marketing
- Ethics in Human Resources
- Ethics in Finance
- Ethical Challenges
- So when does it start to go wrong?
Discussion Exercise 3.1: Johnson & Johnson and the Tylenol Poisonings
Discussion Exercise 3.2: WorldCom’s Creative Accounting
Chapter 4: Corporate Social Responsibility
- Management Without Conscience
- Management By Inclusion
Case 4.1 Malden Mills
- The Driving Force Behind CSR
Case 4.2 Banning The Real Thing
- The Triple Bottom Line
- Jumping on the CSR bandwagon
Discussion Exercise 4.1: Wal-Mart
Discussion Exercise 4.2: The Pesticide DDT
Chapter 5: Corporate Governance
- What does Corporate Governance Look Like?
- In Pursuit of Corporate Governance
- ‘Comply or Explain’ or ‘Comply or Else’
- ‘In the know’ or ‘in the dark’?
Case 5.1 A Case of Two Boards
- The Chairman and The CEO
- Effective Corporate Governance
- 22 Questions for Diagnosing Your Board
- The Dangers of a Corporate Governance Checklist
Case 5.2 Richard Grasso and the NYSE
- A Fiduciary Responsibility
Discussion Exercise 5.1: HealthSouth
Discussion Exercise 5.2: Barings PLC
Chapter 6: The Role of Government
- The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
- The Defense Industry Initiatives
- The US Federal Sentencing Guidelines
- Revised Federal Sentencing Guidelines for Organizations
Case 6.1 The Bribery Gap
Case 6.2 An Unethical Way to Fix Corporate Ethics?
Discussion Exercise 6.1: SOX-POX?
Discussion Exercise 6.2: Stamford International, Inc.
Chapter 7: Blowing the Whistle
- Defining whistleblowing.
- The Ethics of whistleblowing.
Case 7.1 The Insider
- The Year of the whistleblower.
Case 7.2 The Cold Hard Reality
- A duty to respond
- Whistleblowing as a last resort
Discussion Exercise 7.1: Whistle Blowing and the Professional
Discussion Exercise 7.2: James Alderson
Chapter 8: Ethics & Technology
- Do You Know Where Your Personal Information Is?
Case 8.1 A Failure to Disclose
- The Promise of Increased Worker Productivity
- The Employer Position
- The Employee Position
- The Dangers of Leaving a Paper Trail
- Vicarious Liability
- The Right to Privacy – Big Brother is in the House!
Case 8.2 Top 20 Blonde Jokes
- Big Brother is Here to Stay
Discussion Exercise 8.1: Stumbling over G-mail
Discussion Exercise 8.2: Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC)
SECTION III: THE FUTURE OF BUSINESS ETHICS
Chapter 9: Ethics & Globalization
- Ethics in Developed Nations
- Ethics in ‘Less-Developed Nations’
Case 9.1 Questionable Payments
- The Pursuit of Global Ethics
Case 9.2 What is a Global Business?
- Enforcing Global Ethics
Discussion Exercise 9.1: Conscience or the Competitive Edge?
Discussion Exercise 9.2: Soccer Balls Made for Children by Children?
Chapter 10: Making it Stick: Doing What’s Right in a Competitive Market
Case 10.1 What would Julie do?
Case 10.2 Just a small favor
- Becoming a Transparent Organization
Case 10.3 To Be Or Not To Be
Discussion Exercise 10.1: Romp
Discussion Exercise 10.2: The Transformation of Shell
Discussion Exercise 10.3: Erin Brockovich and PG&E
Discussion Exercise 10.4: Mazda’s Dilemma