Table of Contents
Is Peachtree 2010 compatible with Windows 7?
For Windows 7 compatibility, download Service Release 1. The Peachtree download website is located at http://www.peachtree.com/supportTraining/downloadsUpdates/. When the update is complete the Help; About Peachtree Accounting window shows Back to top
How do I update Peachtree?
If a window appears saying that a software update is available, follow these steps to Update Peachtree. You may also want to periodically check if an update is available. (Refer to textbook pages xvi-xvii.)
- Start Peachtree. From Peachtree's menu bar, select Services; Check for Updates.
- Select Check Now. If a window appears saying There are no updates available at this time, click (1.0K).
Or, follow the screen prompts to install the update for Peachtree Complete Accounting 2010.
Another way to check for updates is to go to Peachtree's website at www.peachtree.com.
Back to top
- Go online to www.peachtree.com.
- Select the Support & Training tab. Select Downloads & Updates.
- In the Services Release Updates list, link to Peachtree Complete Accounting.
- As of this writing, Service Release 1 is available. To see information about the update, click on the plus (+) sign. Link to Download Service Release Update Now. Follow the screen prompts to download the update.
What are the system requirements for Peachtree Complete Accounting 2010?
For PCA 2010's system requirements, go online to http://www.peachtree.com/productsServices/complete/system/. System requirements are listed on textbook pages iii-v.
Back to top
Are versions of Peachtree compatible?
Peachtree is upwards compatible but not downward or backwards compatible. For example, if your students create a company and back up with Peachtree Complete Accounting 2010 (CD with 14th edition), they will NOT be able to restore with Peachtree Complete Accounting 2009 (CD with 13th edition). The other way around works: If students back up with Peachtree 2009, they can restore, then convert files, to Peachtree Complete 2010.
Back to top
What if the company I want to use is not listed?
I have a backup file for my company, but the company is not shown on Peachtree's Open an Existing Company screen or on Peachtree's Company Name list? What should I do? This information is also shown in Chapter 9, pages 298-299.
Back to top
- Start Peachtree.
- On the Peachtree Accounting startup window, select Open an existing company. (If a company starts, click File; Close Company to go to Peachtree startup window; then select Open an existing company.)
- When the Open an Existing Company window appears, select Vernon Firestone Designer (the company created in Chapter 9 is used in this example). Use similar steps for the other companies.
Ø What if Vernon Firestone Designer or another name Designer is not shown on the Open an Existing Company window; Company Name list? (Refer to Troubleshooting, textbook pages 298-299.)
- Click (0.0K) page browse to scroll through all the Companies on the Open Company window.
- If Vernon Firestone Designer (or, other name Designer) is shown select it, and then click page (1.0K). Restore your data.
- If no Designer company is shown, click (0.0K), then click (1.0K).
- On the Peachtree startup window, there are four menu bar options— (4.0K). Click File; Restore.
- The Select Backup File window appears. Click page (1.0K). In the Look in field, select the appropriate location of your backup file. If necessary, put external media in the drive and open the backup file from that location.
- Select the appropriate backup file; for example, the Chapter 9 Chart of Accounts.ptb file; click (0.0K).
- Make sure the Location field shows the Chapter 9 Chart of Accounts.ptb file. Click (1.0K).
- The Select Company window appears. Click on the radio button next to A New Company.
Observe that there are two options on the Select Company window: An Existing Company and A New Company. If you select A New Company, then the company will be named exactly the same as the backup file selected. You can restore to an existing company—one that is previously set up—or you can restore to a new company, bypassing the process of setting up a new company.
Let's say you wanted to restore a backup file for a company that was not set up in Peachtree. Some computer labs delete directories from the hard drive; for example, you have a back up file but the company, Vernon Firestone Designer, is not listed as a Peachtree company. If you start Peachtree and you cannot select the appropriate company, use the Restore Wizard to select A New Company. Using the backup file, and the selection for A New Company, you are able to start where you left off the last time you used Peachtree.
- The Company Name field shows Vernon Firestone Designer (or your first and last name Designer). The Location field shows C:\Program Files\Sage Software\Peachtree\Company\verfirde (Or, your shortened company name; the Location field ends in “de.”) Click (1.0K). Continue with step 6, textbook page 300.
How do I check the software version?
To check your software version, start Peachtree, open any company, and then click on Help, About Peachtree Accounting. Detailed steps are shown on textbook pages 14 and 15, Displaying Product Information.
Back to top
How do I delete Peachtree Complete Accounting?
Using the software CD to delete Peachtree:
Follow these steps to delete Peachtree Complete Accounting 2010. (Use similar steps to delete Peachtree 2009.) Steps 1-4 are shown on textbook pages xvi.
- Insert the Peachtree CD.
- When the Welcome to Peachtree Accounting window appears, select Remove or Modify Peachtree Accounting.
- Select Peachtree Complete Accounting 2010.
- Select Remove. Follow the screen prompts to remove Peachtree.
After removal, you may want to delete the Sage Software folder at C:\Program Files\Sage Software. Before removing the Sage Software folder, backup data that you want to keep. If you delete the Sage Software folder, all company data files are removed.
Completely remove Peachtree:
Follow these steps to remove Peachtree 2010. Use similar steps to remove Peachtree 2009. The author suggests uninstalling Peachtree via the software CD. (These steps are shown on textbook pages 767-769, Appendix A.)
- Put the Peachtree Complete Accounting 2010 CD in your drive. (If you do not have the Peachtree 2010 CD, go to Control Panel's Programs and Features [in Vista] or Add/Remove programs [in XP] and remove Peachtree Complete Accounting 2010.
- If necessary, select Run autorun.exe.
- Select Remove or Modify Peachtree Accounting.
- Select Peachtree Complete Accounting Educational Version. Uninstall Peachtree via the Peachtree CD.
- If a window prompts, A program needs your permission to continue, click the Continue button. A preparing to install window appears.
- On the Maintenance Options window, select Remove.
- Click Next>. When the Confirm Uninstall window appears, click OK.
- Be patient. The uninstall will take several minutes. When the Maintenance Complete window appears, click Finish.
- Close the Welcome to Peachtree Accounting-Maintenance window by clicking Exit. Click Exit again on the Welcome to Peachtree Accounting window.
- Remove the CD.
Unless you are having difficulty installing, the steps above (1-10) are all you need to do to remove Peachtree. For complete removal, the steps that follow may be of use. Use these steps after 1-9 above (also shown on textbook pages 767-768).
Back to top
- Go to Start; Control Panel; Programs and Features (Vista), Add/Remove Programs (XP); and remove Pervasive.
- Go to Computer (Vista) My Computer (XP), the C: drive and delete the PVSW and PVSWARCH folders.
- Double-click on WINDOWS or WINNT, for Windows 2000 and delete the “PeachtInst” folder.
- Go to the C:\Documents and Settings\users folder name\Application Data and delete the Peachtree folder.
- Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\and delete the “Peach” and “Pervasive Software Shared” folders.
- Click the Back button to return to the Program Files folder. Rename any folders labeled “Sage Software” or “Peachtree” to “oldSage Software” or “oldPeachtree.”
- Go to Start; Run and type in “regedit” and click on OK.
- Locate these keys and delete them:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PEACHW Release (10, 9, 8, or 7)
- Go to Start; Search, All Files and Folders (For Files and Folders in Windows 2000). In “All or Part of the File Name” type in p*.ini and click Search. Once the search is over, click on Name at the top of the page to alphabetize the list and look for PFA170ini, PAW170ini, PCW170INI, PPA170ini, PPAC170ini, PPAM170ini, PPAD170ini, PPAN170ini, PPAA170ini, PTX170ini, or PTXA170ini. If you see any of these files, delete them.
Depending on what version of Peachtree you are trying to completely remove, your files may have a different number; for example 160ini, or, a lower number, 150ini. Peachtree 2010 includes 170ini files; Peachtree 2009 includes 160ini files; Peachtree 2008, 150ini files.
- Go to Start; Run, type in %temp% and click OK. Delete everything in this folder that can be deleted. (NOTE: There are some files and folders that cannot be deleted.)
- Go to Start; Run, type in C:\Windows\Temp and click OK. Delete everything in this folder than can be deleted. (NOTE: There are some files and folders that cannot be deleted.) Close the window.
- Reboot PC to complete removal of the Peachtree program.
COMPUTER LAB INSTALLATION
Before computer lab installation, make sure all former versions of Peachtree are deleted. Refer to page xvi; Deleting Peachtree. For detailed steps, refer to Appendix A, Troubleshooting, pages 767-769.
Back to top
- Peachtree Complete Accounting 2010 should be installed locally. Do not put on server.
- Install software on local workstation then ghost (replicate) install. You can put the software on a standard lab image.
How do I install starting data for the sample companies?
To start the sample companies from the beginning (before any data was added), restore these files:
Back to top
- Start Peachtree; open Bellwether Garden Supply. In Chapter 1, on textbook pages 18-23, you backed up Bellwether Garden Supply. This back up was made before any data was added. Restore the bgs.ptb file. See textbook pages 27-30 for detailed steps for restoring a file. Once the bgs.ptb file is restored you have starting (beginning) data for Bellwether Garden Supply.
- Start Peachtree; Open Stone Arbor Landscaping. In Chapter 8, on pages 265-266, you backed up Stone Arbor Landscaping. Restore the Chapter 8.ptb file.
On my students' financial statements, their current month and year-to-date figures do not match what is shown in the textbook?Back to top
Make sure that your students' set the chart of accounts beginning balances for the month before the transactions start. For example, if the opening balance sheet is for October 1, 2010 (textbook page 304), students must enter chart of account beginning balances for September 1 - 30, 2010 (textbook page 303, steps 2 and 3). For detailed steps, refer to Chapter 9, pages 301-305, Entering Chart of Accounts Beginning Balances. Peachtree posts on the last day of the month–beginning balances as of September 30 are October 1 starting balances.
What does it mean when the same company is listed numerous times?
DUPLICATE COMPANY NAMES
Here are some suggestions for the problem of duplicate company names:
- Exit Peachtree and any other open programs.
- Go to Peachtree's program location on the hard drive and delete the folder for the company that has duplicate names. For example, delete the folder from the program location for Vernon Firestone Designer (c:\Program Files\Sage Software\Peachtree\Company\verfirde--the folder for Vernon Firestone Designer is verfirde).
- Empty the recycle bin.
- Restart the computer.
When creating Peachtree companies, use a unique name. For example, instead of Vernon Firestone Designer, use the student's first and last name Designer. This will set up individual folders on the hard drive for that company. The company may have been duplicated because students are using the same name each time they set up the company. Remember, each time a new company is set up, Peachtree identifies that company with a shortened name in the c:\Program Files\Sage Software\Peachtree\Company folder.
Peachtree automatically sets up a shortened company name which is comprised of the first three letters of the first word, first three letters of the second word, and two letters from the third word. For example, if the company name is Janet Williams Designer, the shortened company name is \janwilde; the program location and folder location is c:\Program Files\Sage Software\Peachtree\Company\janwilde.Back to top
Data may have become corrupted. How do I start with fresh data?
Deleting the company folder is also a way to clean data files that may have become corrupted, i.e. delete the company folder from the program path then restore a New Company. This starts the company with fresh data. Detailed steps for deleting the company folder are shown above. (Refer steps 1-4 before this FAQ.)Back to top
I am trying to backup to a USB drive and a window prompts that Peachtree Accounting for Windows has stopped working.
Not all USB media works the same. Try backing up to a different USB flash or thumb drive. USB media is fragile and can be easily damaged.
Refer to Appendix A, Troubleshooting, pages 765-767; or link to Troubleshooting Tips from www.mhhe.com/yacht2010; Information Center list. When I back up to USB media (thumb or flash drive), the following message appears—Peachtree Accounting or Windows has stopped working. What should I do?
When this window appears (18.0K), click (1.0K). You are returned to the Windows desktop.
Make a backup, using your Desktop as the destination. Then, copy the backup to a USB drive. Follow these steps to backup to the desktop.
Back to top
- From the Navigation Bar, select (2.0K); Back up.
- Click (1.0K).
- In the Save in field, select Desktop.
- In the File name filed, type the appropriate file name. (In the example below Chapter 3 is shown.)
- Click (1.0K).
- When This Company backup will require approximately X.XXMB window appears (substitute correct number for Xs.), click (1.0K). When the Back Up Company scale is 100% complete, you have successful backed up. Minimize Peachtree to go to your desktop. The Chapter 3.ptb file is shown on the Windows desktop.
- Right click on the Chapter 3.ptb file; left-click Copy.
- Right click on the Start button; left-click Explore.
- Go to your USB drive location. Right-click on the USB drive; left-click Paste.
What does it mean when a window prompts Serial Number in use?
SERIAL NUMBER IN USE; YOU CANNOT USE PEACHTREE BECAUSE IT HAS REACHED ITS MAXIMUM NUMBER OF USERS
If you are receiving Serial Number in use, Another Peachtree user is using the same serial number, or Peachtree has reached its maximum number of users, do the following to correct this.
Back to top
- If necessary, exit Peachtree.
- Go to Task Manager by pressing the CTRL+ALT+DEL keys and on the Processes tab look for W3DBSMGR.EXE, click to highlight and choose End Task.
The W3DBSMGR.EXE file is the Pervasive database which sometimes takes time to end. You may have exited Peachtree, then tried to start it before Pervasive stopped running.
- Restart Peachtree.
What is a system requirements warning?
If a System Requirements window warns RAM is not large enough or processing speed is too slow, you may continue installation but Peachtree 2010 may run slower.
The minimum requirements for Peachtree 2010 installation are 512 MB of RAM (1GB for multiple users) and 1 GHz processor speed. Refer to pages iii and iv for complete system requirements.Back to top
Firewalls and Peachtree: Can my anti-virus program or firewall interfere with installation?
Peachtree 2010 and its database, Pervasive, can be mistakenly identified as an intrusion threat by many firewall and anti-virus programs. If not addressed properly, this may cause the installation to fail or Peachtree may not start or run properly.
Before Installing Peachtree
If you have not already installed Peachtree, it is critical that you do the following:
1. Turn ON your firewall software. Which firewall am I using?
2. Turn ON firewall alerts. How do I turn on firewall alerts?
3. If prompted by your firewall, always Allow or Unblock the following files:
Some firewalls, like ZoneAlarm, may prompt you to allow additional files. You must allow these additional files as well.
Already Installed Peachtree
If you have already installed Peachtree and are unable to open a company, you need to set your firewall to allow Peachtree and its database, Pervasive, to run.
Set My Firewall to Work with Peachtree
For each of the firewalls listed below, we show you how to turn on firewall alerts and how to set the firewall to allow Peachtree to run.
If your firewall program is not listed, you may select any of the firewall programs to obtain general guidelines for setting up your firewall, but you should refer to help for your firewall program to get specific assistance.
Which firewall am I using?
If you are not sure which firewall program you are using, use one of the options below to find out.
· Run our Security Application Scanner to search your computer for firewall and anti-virus software.Back to top
· Move your mouse pointer over the icons in the system tray, in the lower right corner next to the clock. Each icon should give you the name of the application that is running. Look for Internet Security or Firewall Software.
· Select Start>All Programs, and then look for Internet Security or Firewall Software.
· Select Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add/ Remove Programs, and then look for Internet Security or Firewall Software.
· Select Start>Run. Type "services.msc" in the Open field and select OK. The services list will open. Look for Internet Security or Firewall Software in the services list.
How do I use the Peachtree Knowledge Center?
When Peachtree is installed, an important resource is included, Peachtree's Knowledge Center. A desktop icon identifies it – (3.0K)
The Knowledge Center offers help for the most frequently asked Peachtree questions. You can search by product, category, keywords, Answer ID or phrases. Feedback can also be emailed to Peachtree.
Back to top
- Select the desktop icon for the Peachtree Knowledge Center. The Support & Training website appears. The Online Help section is shown below. The web site location is http://www.peachtree.com/supportTraining/onlineHelp/?WT.mc_id=RD_peachtree.com/inproduct_KnowledgeCenter.
- Link to Knowledgebase. Search criteria can be selected in the Search by Product fields. (Refer to textbook pages xxxii-xxxiv for detailed steps.)
When I select Explore a sample company from the startup window, Bellwether Garden Supply does not show the OK, Close, or Help buttons. (Refer to textbook page xi, Software Installation.)
On page iv, the system requirements list this recommendation for screen resolution:
At least high color (16bit) SVGA video; supports 1024X768 resolution with small fonts required.
In order for Peachtree's windows to match the ones shown in the textbook, check your screen resolution. If you prefer a higher screen resolution, press the <Enter> key to select Bellwether Garden Supply. When the screen resolution is set higher than 1024X768, you will notice some differences in Peachtree's user interface but this does not affect the functionality of the program.Back to top