Biology, Eighth Edition (Raven)
Genes and How They Work
Learning OutcomesChapter 15
- Differentiate among the three kinds of RNA in terms of structure and function.
- Understand the kind of code present in the nucleotide sequence of DNA.
- Describe the process of transcription, its machinery, and end products.
- Describe the process of translation, its machinery, and end products.
- Understand how specific amino acids are added to the proper tRNAs.
- Describe the process of protein synthesis.
- Understand how transcription, translation, and protein synthesis are interrelated.
- Know the differences between prokaryotic and eukaryotic protein synthesis.
- Understand why eukaryotic gene transcripts must be spliced. How are introns and exons involved?