Biology, Eighth Edition (Raven)
Evolution of Development
Learning OutcomesChapter 25
- Know what the term genome means and what it means to science to have elucidated a complete genome of a species.
- Understand the evolutionary implications of gene duplication
- Understand the significance of highly conserved genes in speciation and diversity
- Understand the role of stop codons in imparting new traits
- Explain the morphological diversity of fish jaws
- Understand how ancestral genes develop new functions over time
- Explain the evolution of the AP3 gene
- Understand how convergent evolution works when different genes are recruited in different species. Give an example.
- Describe functional analysis of genes
- Distinguish between the two different hypotheses regarding the expression of the Pax6 gene and the evolution of organs of sight.