(See related pages)
- Discuss the various roles that schools play in the development of children.
- Describe how school size and organization affect achievement, participation, and self-concept.
- Summarize research findings on the effects of classroom spatial arrangements and organization on students.
- Explain the effects of teacher expectations, as well as the teacher's use of operant conditioning on classroom behavior.
- Describe the benefits of techniques such as cooperative learning and peer teaching.
- Cite recent research identifying problems with primary readers. Identify aspects of whole language and literature-based approaches.
- Discuss the ways in which computers are being used in the classroom, including possible benefits and problems with their use.
- Discuss factors that influence children's achievement motivation.
- Discuss desegregation and its positive and negative outcomes.
- Define mainstreaming and discuss problems related to educating children with special needs in school settings.
- Describe changes in children's television viewing and other media use with age, and discuss both negative and positive effects of TV viewing, computers, and video games.
- Identify the roles played by parents in modifying the effects of TV viewing on their children.