(See related pages)
- Describe the growth of the brain during infancy. Include the concepts of hemispheric specialization and laterality.
- Cite and discuss the evidence for the effects of the environment on brain plasticity.
- Describe the course of motor development in the areas of grasping and walking.
- Discuss the roles of experience and culture in the development of motor skills. Give examples and relate these to the psychological implications of locomotion.
- Explain the principles that guide physical growth, and discuss the general trends in rates of maturation.
- State the national differences in growth and the possible explanations for these differences.
- Describe the course of puberty for boys and girls. Include social and emotional changes as well as physical.
- Discuss the factors that influence obesity and other eating disorders. Know the causes for these problems and strategies for helping children who experience them.
- Identify possible outcomes of early and late maturation.