Chapter 1, Understanding Religion
- New discussion on the problem of defining religion
- New section on The Study of Religion
- New section on Recent Theories
- Revised and condensed discussion of Key Critical Issues
- New Conflict in Religion box, "Religious Blends"
- New reading from mythologist Joseph Campbell, "Finding What Brings Joy"
Chapter 2, Indigenous Religions
- New Deeper Insights box, "Australian Aboriginal Religion"
- New reading, the Hawaiian chant "The Kumulipo," provided in Hawaiian with an accompanying English translation
Chapter 3, Hinduism
- New table on major Hindu gods
- New Personal Experience section, "A Party"
- New Contemporary Issues box, "The Chipko Movement"
- Added discussion on the growing women's movement in India
- New reading, "Finding Union with the Divine," from the Crest-Jewel of Discrimination
Chapter 4, Buddhism
- New First Encounter on visiting the Emerald Buddha and the Wat Po temple
- New Contemporary Issues box on Thich Nhat Hanh and his movement of "engaged Buddhism"
- New Contemporary Issues box on "environmental Buddhism"
- Added discussion on the changing attitudes toward women and women's roles in institutional Buddhism
- New reading from the poet Basho, "Life Is a Journey"
Chapter 5, Jainism and Sikhism
- New reading from Satish Kumar, "A Prayer for Peace"
Chapter 6, Daoism and Confucianism
- New First Encounter on the visit to a Daoist temple
- New Deeper Insights box, "Daoism and Nature"
- Added discussion on female imagery and themes and the role of women in Daoism
- New reading, "Holding onto Harmony," from the Daoist classic, The Zhuangzi
Chapter 7, Shinto
- New First Encounter on visiting a Shinto shrine in the city of Naha in Okinawa
- New Deeper Insights box, "Shinto and Nature," on Shinto roots in the natural world
- New reading, "Shinto Prayer for Peace"
Chapter 8, Judaism
- Revised and condensed section on Jewish Holy Days
- Added material on differing views on women's roles in Judaism
- New reading, "Tending the Garden," from the biblical story of creation
Chapter 9, Christianity
- Added material on women among Jesus's friends and followers, women and women's roles in the early Church, and women in the Protestant missionary movement
- Revised and condensed section on The Christian Year, with a diagram depicting the Christian year
- Revised section on The Challenges of Science and Secularism, including a new paragraph on "Prosperity Christianity"
- Revised section on Contemporary Influences and Developments, including a discussion of views on female equality, biblical interpretation, fundamentalism, and the spread of Christianity in Africa and Asia
- New reading from Julian of Norwich, "Revelations of Divine Love"
Chapter 10, Islam
- New section, Islam and the Roles of Women
- New Contemporary Issues box, "Islamic Ecology"
- Added discussion on the conservatism of al-Qaida
- Added discussion on the Arab Spring, particularly events in Egypt and Libya
- New reading from the Turkish writer Fazil bin Tahir Enderuni, "Beauty Leads to God"
Chapter 11, Alternative Paths
- New Rituals and Celebrations box, "The Contemporary Pagan Year," with an accompanying diagram of the year
- Revised Deeper Insights box, "Major Orishas of Santería"
- New Contemporary Issues box, "Ecology and the New Religious Movements"
- New reading, "Baha'i Prayer"
Chapter 12, The Modern Search
- New First Encounter on a conference of religious leaders and a discussion of the role of women in religion
- New Personal Experience, "A Picnic," a discussion of the good and bad effects of religion
- New reading, "A Starry Night," from Audrey Sutherland's Paddling My Own Canoe