Biology, Eighth Edition (Raven)
Learning OutcomesChapter 27
- Understand why viruses are not considered living organisms.
- Review the general structure of viruses, bacteriophages.
- Know the early biological history surrounding the discovery and characterization of viruses.
- Contrast the difference between the replication cycles: lytic cycle versus lysogenic cycle.
- Describe the difference between a retrovirus and DNA virus.
- Describe the actions of a retrovirus and roll of transcriptase.
- Explain the process of viral infection using HIV as an example.
- Describe AIDS infection and treatments.
- Understand the importance and consequences of cell transformation by viruses.
- Give examples of various virally mediated human diseases.
- Explain how prions cause disease.
- Explain how viroids cause disease.