· A new modular organization allows instructors to use the book in a
variety of different course formats. Options include a "design course,"
a "survey course," a "project management course," or a "Web
· New sidebars are used extensively to present complementary software
engineering topics, suggest relevant tools, and define workflow for various
technical and management activities.
· The SafeHome case study has been enhanced and extended to illustrate
important topics and to allow the student to better understand the inner workings
of a project team as software is engineered and built.
· Five new chapters on Web engineering (Part 3) present methods for
formulation, planning, analysis, design, and testing of Web applications.
· The Unified Modeling Language (UML) is now used extensively to illustrate
important analysis and design methods.
· A new chapter on agile development considers Extreme Programming and
other agile methods.
· A new chapter on design engineering emphasizes important design concepts
and principles and lays the foundation for the four design chapters that follow.
· Object-Oriented Design has been integrated throughout the text.