Print a copy of this exercise. Combine these ideas to make create a single sentence from each set. You will need to use conjunctions, along with commas and semicolons. Some sets of sentences can be combined more than one way.
Megan loves ballet, tap, and jazz.
She majored in accounting rather than dance.
Although Megan loves ballet, tap, and jazz, she majored in accounting rather than dance.
Megan loves ballet, tap, and jazz, but she majored in accounting rather than dance.
- There are many theories about why dinosaurs disappeared. One theory is that the climate became too cold.
- It's important to check the repair record of a new car you are considering buying. It can save you from buying a lemon.
- Independence Day is celebrated July 4. Many people call the holiday the Fourth of July.
- A word's etymology is its origin and history. It can be found at the end of the dictionary entry for a word.
- Leopards eat birds, monkeys, and reptiles. This means they have to be able to hunt in trees as well as on the ground.
- The life a person leads leaves clues in the body. Researchers are often able to figure out how ancient people lived, what they ate, their occupation, and perhaps the cause of death.
- Workers used to retire at age 65. Many of them now find that they cannot afford to stop working.
- Aesop is known for the fables. Fables are stories designed to teach a lesson or moral.
- Writing takes time. No one produces a perfect, finished copy on the first try.
- Noise is an external stress. Worry is an internal one.
Elder, J. Entryways into College Reading and Learning. Copyright © 2008 The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.