Biology, Eighth Edition (Raven)
The Nature of Molecules
Learning OutcomesChapter 2
- Know the structure of an atom.
- Differentiate between atomic number and atomic mass.
- Understand the importance of and the differences between ions and isotopes of an element.
- Know what determines the chemical identity of a given element.
- Understand how molecules undergo reduction and oxidation reactions.
- Water spontaneously dissociates into H+ and OH– ions and is the basis of most buffering systems.
- Understand what controls the combination of elements into molecules.
- Know the characteristics of the various bonds found in living organisms.
- Explain why water is the essence of life as we know it.
- Describe pH in biological and mathematical terms. Know some values for household solutions.