Biology, Eighth Edition (Raven)
Plant Nutrition and Soils
Learning OutcomesChapter 39
- Explain how plants use energy.
- Differentiate between macronutrients and micronutrients in terms of identity, amounts required by plants, and their physiological importance.
- Understand how soils differ in term of particle size and ability to hold water. Why is it necessary to fertilize soils in which crop plants are grown?
- Describe how hydroponics may be used in understanding plant nutrition.
- Describe the composition of soil and how it contributes to plant nutrition.
- Describe two potential outcomes of an increase in atmospheric CO2.
- Explain the process of symbiosis and describe several examples of symbiotic relationships.
- Explain how symbiotic bacteria and fungi enhance plant growth.
- Explain the nature and significance of phytoremediation.