Biology, Eighth Edition (Raven)
Control of Gene Expression
Learning OutcomesChapter 16
- Understand how regulatory proteins work and why gene control is necessary for a cell’s survival.
- Differentiate between transcriptional and post-transcriptional control of gene regulation.
- Know how RNA polymerase is linked to control of transcription.
- List the four primary kinds of structural motifs and delineate their modes of action.
- Differentiate between repressors and activators, using the lac operon as an example.
- Describe the two primary kinds of transcription factors in eukaryotes.
- Understand how eukaryotic chromosome structure is associated with gene regulation.
- Know how a primary transcript is processed to effect post-transcriptional gene control.
- Differentiate between introns and exons.