Biology, Eighth Edition (Raven)
The Science of Biology
Learning OutcomesChapter 1
- Understand why it is important to have a good working knowledge of biology.
- Understand the processes involved in scientific discovery.
- Describe how a hypothesis is formulated and how it becomes a theory.
- Define variable and understand its involvement in a controlled experiment.
- Cite the evidence from Darwin’s voyage that initiated his ideas on evolution.
- Explain the revolutionary aspects of Darwin’s evolutionary concepts.
- Know the scientists who greatly influenced Darwin and how their work contributed to his.
- Understand why natural selection is the driving force of evolution.
- Explain why Darwin postponed the publication of his theory and describe the event that finally prompted its publication.
- List the evidence after Darwin’s time that further supports the validity of the theory of evolution.
- List the 4 themes that unify biology as a science.