Biology, Eighth Edition (Raven)
The Immune System
Learning OutcomesChapter 51
- Explain the three levels of vertebrate immunological defense including how skin prevents invasion by microbes.
- Describe the three kinds of cells that kill invading microorganisms.
- Compare how the complement and interferon systems augment other immunological defenses.
- Know how the inflammatory response helps to fight infection.
- Differentiate among the four primary types of T cells and know their involvement in the cell-mediated immune response.
- Understand the role of MHC proteins in T cell function.
- Understand the primary events of the humoral immune response.
- Describe the structure of B cell and T cell receptors.
- Understand how clonal selection prepares a body to fight off future invaders more efficiently.
- Know the result of loss of immunological tolerance.
- Understand the reactions associated with ABO and Rh blood typing.
- Compare how invertebrates and vertebrates recognize foreign tissue and indicate the advantages and disadvantages of each method.
- Describe the three ways in which the AIDS virus interferes with the immune response.
- Explain antigen shifting and how it is associated with man’s failure to develop vaccines against diseases like malaria.
- Compare immediate and delayed hypersensitivity reactions.