Biology, Eighth Edition (Raven)
Learning OutcomesChapter 58
- Understand how the overall characteristics of the major biomes change as one travels farther away from the equator or as one ascends from sea level.
- Describe how environments vary from one area to another.
- Explain how organisms adapt to environmental change.
- Understand how the sun, earth’s rotation, continental geography, and wind circulation patterns combine to produce major climatic trends.
- Compare the eight major biomes in terms of overall productivity, species diversity, general climate, and precipitation.
- Understand how oceanic habitats affect species diversity.
- Describe the major zones of the oceans and the types of organisms that can be found in each.
- Explain how bodies of fresh water are layered and the importance of seasonal overturns.
- Differentiate between oligotrophic and eutrophic lakes.